What's the official "party line" on 3rd party client side only mods?

General chat, screenies and video for the MineSquish server
Minecraftgeek70
Head Curmudgeon

What's the official "party line" on 3rd party client side only mods?

Postby Minecraftgeek70 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 am

'Ello me again!

As you know i'm a modpack designer and a huge proponent of the modded minecraft experience. One thing I find the most jarring when I return to vanilla minecraft is the fact I've got used to certain facilities which I now take for granted. The numerical light level overlays , being able to sort my inventory, having a map of my location etc as well as some of the more cosmetic changes. Visual tweaks, Sound tweaks, Shaders (you may have seen some of my screen shots previously)

All of these mods are client only. They do not constitute (at least not in my opinion but this *IS* why i'm asking) cheating in any way or form. They don't give me any advantages over a 100% vanilla player and they don't rely on hacked versions of the minecraft.jar file to, for example, show the location of diamond ores, or give me creative powers (which given I'm a master builder already would be a pretty meaningless hack XD)

I ask as , I think this little pack would be of great interest to my fellow squishies. Apart from the shaders (which I wouldn't include anyway as (a) the mod author does not permit it to be distributed in modpacks anyway and (b) it would require a particularly beefy computer to run) the overhead is slight. It adds no extra demands upon the server and makes the vanilla experience a little nicer.

I'd be happy to allow this pack to be downloaded and installed (you'd need the twitch/curseforge minecraft launcher but I could create a zip version for other MC launchers such as MultiMC if people preferred that option)

Here's a few of the NON shader visual changes (most notable at night so apologies for the dark images. Click through for larger versions!)

Aurora!

The Milky Way! (and as it's cold you can see my players breath coming out in clouds!)

Scarier Spiders!

Scarier(?) Zombies XD
(ok more bendy perhaps!)

if you'd like a list of all the mods I use so you can check for anti-cheatyness here you go

Molybdene
Admin

Re: What's the official "party line" on 3rd party client side only mods?

Postby Molybdene » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:35 am

You already describe the line not to cross regarding third party modpack.

"They don't give me any advantages over a 100% vanilla player".

As long as the mod does exactly that, it's fine. I'll have a look at this list of mod. Just judging by the names, the "NoNausea" is suspicious.
Hi from France! Image
Server IP: mc.indiesquish.com
BeastSquish IP: mc.indiesquish.com:25666

Minecraftgeek70
Head Curmudgeon

Postby Minecraftgeek70 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:54 pm

No nausea doesn't prevent you getting the nausea effect. Your control still goes all over the place.. but for people who like me find the visual effects actually PHYSICALLY nausea inducing AND has been known to trigger a migraine..it removed the visual effects. The in-game characters are still adversely affected. It's basically an anti shader shader XD

chiprock2
Admin

Postby chiprock2 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm not sure there's a way to get nausea in vanilla, unless there's some way I'm unaware of. Nonetheless, there's no real issue with using a mod to remove it, it can be very nausea inducing at times, just as long as it isn't abused. :)
Hello, Bonjour, Hola, Hallo, Hej, こんにちは, مرحبا, 你好, Selamat pagi, 안녕하세요, ສະບາຍດີ, สวัสดีครับ, Xin chào.

1wolffan
Admin

Postby 1wolffan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm

The nausea effect happens when you eat a pufferfish, and when you go through a nether portal. I wanna say there was a time when zombie flesh would do that too but I'm probably wrong, and if there was, it was a LONG time ago.
Always Mischievous,
Never Devious!

Return to “MineSquish Chat & Media”